Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fuckin' Old People

Just to let you know, this post has nothing to do with TG Captions. It's just something I feel I need to address because it's been pissing me off for a long time now.

The elderly is fabled to be respected, but they've said nothing about respecting them on the road. And I don't. The majority of them shouldn't BE on the road. I come from a place where old people mistook the accelerator pad for the brakes-- people have been hit and succumbed to their injuries as a result. There's also those who make driving fairly dangerous: e.g., what happened to me today. I'm not sure if anyone realizes it, but doing 10 mph below the allowable speed limit presents a danger to those who do exactly that (I understand there's a 5-mph grace in this state and others, meaning you can do 50 in a 45). I understand some cars can't exactly do the same things as other cars can, but when they CAN is what irks me. Not to be mean or anything, but Death is right around the corner anyway. Why not do what everyone else does and, I don't know, DRIVE instead of doing the Snail? What really made me amused is that I looked in the rearview mirror after I passed the elderly woman and it appeared she was trying to get my license plate down. What kind of message would the police be sending if they actually pursued this complaint? That I have to call the cops every fucking time someone cuts me off? That's the adult equivalent of  "MOMMY, TIMMY WON'T STOP HITTING ME". Yes, I realize there is a cultural and mental difference between the city and the country and coming from the city I don't quite get the customs here entirely. In the city, 'snitching' is considered something you'd be killed for. This isn't snitching however-- this is being a fucking child. I honestly don't believe I've done anything wrong. I passed her in a road where I was allowed to pass, only accelerated to unacceptable speeds so I could safely pass her without hitting her, and then readjusted my speed to the allowable limit. I'm surprised some people where I live know how to fend for themselves, because so far it doesn't seem like anyone can. They have to call the police whenever they need someone to wipe their ass, it appears.

I would suggest to the Commonwealth that old people, after the age of 60, be required to take a road test similar to what you have to take when getting a permit (you can get it as young as 15 or 16 here I believe). You fail, you don't drive for the remainder of your years. Sure you can reapply to take the test over and over, but if you failed the first three times, I don't see how you'll succeed every consecutive time thereafter. That's also what I would suggest: Giving them three tries, best out of 3. You fail twice, your license is revoked. And then you'd have to ride the bus, just like every other old person in the world. However, I don't believe in the government anymore. It's too far gone to fix. Especially in this state. I'd elaborate but it would only piss me off further, so I'll drop it here. Hopefully I don't get a visit from the police. I'll fight a ticket just to stand on principle. 

I'm done ranting. Enjoy the current and upcoming TG Captions. If I seemed belligerent it's because this town's pissed me off for over 6 years now and there's really nothing I can do about it BUT bitch.

2 comments:

  1. From what I've experienced, it is not just old people who don't know how to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right you are, friend. There's also punks who like to ride my ass. And there's probably me. =p

    ReplyDelete