Friday, December 16, 2011

Bitch Bitch Bitch: Pomplamoose's Cover of "September"

For those of you who aren't in the know, Pomplamoose is an indie music duo comprised of Jack Conte and Nataly Dawn. They have a Wikipedia page despite me never hearing of them before.

Now I say I haven't heard of them before because I seriously haven't until they were featured in a Something Awful article. Then I did research on them via the Wikipedia article I've already made a link to and found out that they also did 2010 Hyundai Christmas commercials. Back then I've thought of the both of them (who I thought were just commercial jingle singers) as bland and boring with the woman's voice sounding like she's yawning rather than singing. That's what kills me about most supposedly 'indie' songs sung by women: a vast majority of them sound like they're yawning. This is one such example.

Recently, I've watched their video for their cover of a band I can't remember right now's song "September" and, needless to say, my opinion remains steadfast. They're still bland and boring.


 Now, suffice to say, I don't think it's a bad cover. The girl is cute to look at (she has nice eyes) and the addition of using toys for music is cute in itself, and the song isn't a bad rendition of the original....but it lacks the soul of the people who originally wrote it, a certain vibe that makes the EARTH quake and the WIND roar with the passion only equaled by the FIRE of the vibrant personality within. God, I wish I could remember the name of the band....I'm just gonna say it's the Bee Gees for now.

These guys, not so much. The ones that wrote the original, they sounded like after the song, they would want you to keep dancing to yet another 'funkadelic' tune or to pass the fine champagnes and stuff. Pomplamoose is the type of band that strikes me as finishing a song and then sitting down to eat tofu and rice cakes.

Anyway, the key thing to derive from this edition of Bitch Bitch Bitch is that I'm not knocking the song nor its cover, but the Bee Gees had a type of emotion to their song, most evident in "Low Rider", where it was always about a good time and something that doesn't make me fall asleep like half of Pomplamoose's songs. Bland band, good song.

Hope for new captions soon :p



(Note: I know it's by Earth, Wind and Fire and NOT the Bee Gees. That's a joke.)


EDIT (2/12/12): I'm just as surprised as you when you typed 'Pomplamoose' on your search engine and got this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment